brexit FAQ
4 minutes

Frequently asked questions about Brexit (FAQ)

What are the implications of Brexit for your business?

Are you an e-commerce business shipping to the United Kingdom? If applicable, shipping rules and regulations have changed for you. As a result of Brexit, a customs obligation applies for incoming and outgoing goods from January 1, 2021. Curious what this means exactly? Have a look at the most frequently asked questions (FAQ) about Brexit.

Don’t be surprised by the new rules regarding Brexit

Arrange documents due to Brexit

UK VAT number: do I have to apply?

It sounds very obvious, but this is one of the most important questions within the Brexit FAQ. As a consequence of Brexit, EU companies no longer fall under the distance selling scheme, but become overseas markets. As an overseas seller, you are required to apply for a UK VAT number. You can apply for a UK VAT number by registering online through the website of United Kingdom’s tax authority: HMRC (Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs).

If you are in possession of a UK VAT number, you must file a tax return in the United Kingdom. Therefore, don’t forget to inform your accountant about filing a tax return. Please click here for more information.

EORI number: do I have to register?

To receive and ship parcels from the United Kingdom, you must apply for an EORI number (Economic Operator Registration and Identification). You need this number to submit your customs declarations for the export of goods outside the EU.

Not only do you have to register your packages with Dutch customs, but also with British customs. If you have a representative in the UK, check whether if they have a UK EORI number. If your representative does not have a UK EORI number, or you provide the import in the UK yourself, make sure you have a UK EORI number.

For more information, please click here.

What is FTA?

FTA means Free Trade Agreement. For destination UK it means all EU origin goods 0-135GBP value are exempt from duties.

General information

What is an HS code?

An HS code (Harmonized System code) or Commodity Code is a code that customs worldwide use to categorize products. You must always state the EU HS codes on your goods to the United Kingdom, this code consists of ten digits.

Shipping methods: what are Incoterms?

When you ship goods outside the EU, you must use Incoterms. Incoterms are standardized international regulations for the transport of goods. In other words, incoterms serve as a contract between the buyer and sales and describe all rights, costs and risks that may be involved in the transactions of goods.

B2C Europe offers two options for web shops that ship to the United Kingdom: Delivery Duties Paid (DDP) and Delivery Duties Unpaid (DDU). With a DDP option, the seller is responsible for paying the taxes and duties and with a DDU option, the buyer is responsible. If the buyer is not informed, the consumer can refuse the package. This will mean that the seller will eventually have to pay for the corrected costs and the return of the package. Also check out the previous blog “What does the Brexit mean for EU web shops?

Is my CE marking still valid?

Until the end of 2021, the CE mark will remain valid in the United Kingdom, although the UKCA (United Kingdom Conformity Assessed) marking entered into force on January 1, 2021. This means that from 2022 only products with a UKCA mark will be accepted in the United Kingdom. The CE mark indicates that the product complies with the applicable rules within the European Economic Area. The UKCA marking is it own British alternative.

Will my delivery time change?

Because customs have to process your request to import or export goods to the United Kingdom, the delivery time of your incoming or outgoing goods may be slightly delayed. Therefore, be careful when making promises about the delivery time of your products.

Save on logistics costs and increase your turnover?

Optimise your cross-border strategy and enter new e-commerce markets easily!

Request a free consult

Continue reading: